Friday, September 3, 2010

Glazed Broccoli with Almonds

Glazed Broccoli with Almonds (from the Lion House Cookbook), serves 6-8

2 lbs broccoli
1/2 t salt
1 chicken boullion cube
3/4 C hot water
1/4 C margarine
1/4 C flour
1 C light cream (half & half)
2 T lemon juice
pepper to taste
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
1/4 C slivered blanched almonds

(I know mom quadruples the sauce.  I usually do it as the recipe calls for it.  I doubled it for Thanksgiving to appease Mom, but it wasn't enough sauce for either her or Maren.  So you decide how you want to do it.)

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease a 9x9 pan.  Cook broccoli, arrange in pan.  While broccoli is cooking, prepare sauce.  Dissolve boullion cube in hot water.  Melt margarine in pan, blend in flour.  Gradually stir in cream and boullion; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Taste to correct seasoning.  Pour sauce over broccoli.  Sprinkle with cheese and almonds.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

-Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment