Friday, September 3, 2010

Black Bean Soup

Black Bean Soup

10 slices bacon (preferably smoked)
2 medium onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, pressed
1 (14.5 oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth (I use chicken base)
1.5 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 T ketchup
2 t Worcestershire sauce
1 T chili powder
4 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained but not rinsed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch cilantro
juice of 1/2 lime
Thinly sliced scallions for garnish
Sour cream for garnish
Grated cheddar for garnish

Put the bacon into a large heavy pot and place it over medium heat. Cook until it starts to give up its fat, about 4 minutes. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent. (If you don't want to use bacon, I'd just saute the onions in a little olive oil, and then add some liquid smoke when you add the rest of the ingredients.) Stir in the garlic and cook until you can smell it, about 1 minute. Add the broth, tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire (and liquid smoke if you're using it.), and chili powder. Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the soup is bubbling gently and cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 

Meanwhile, pick off all the thick stems from the cilantro. Wash it and shake dry. Chop the cilantro coarsely and stir it into the soup when it has been simmering 10 minutes. Cook until the soup is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve with the garnishes.

Let me know how you like it!

-Maren

2 comments:

  1. This is by far the best black bean soup I have ever had. You can easily omit bacon to make it vegetarian (although a good deal of the flavor does come from the smoked bacon). I leave out the cilantro because I just can't come to appreciate the strong flavor it renders. Still the soup is wonderful.
    Thanks Maren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. Incomplete directions. Cut up your bacon into small bite-size pieces BEFORE you cook it. Forgot to include that little tidbit.

    I eat it with tortilla strips instead of a spoon.

    ReplyDelete