Fresh Frozen Lemon Tarts (from Academy Ward, Colorado Springs)
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup finely crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
The recipe, as written: In double boiler, combine well-beaten egg yolks, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Cook over hot, but not boiling water, until custard coats a metal spoon. Cool. Stir in rind and vanilla. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, fold into custard. Fold in whipped cream. Sprinkle bottom of 12 paper fluted muffin cups with 1 tsp. each vanilla wafer crumbs. Pour custard into cups and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Freeze in muffin tins until firm. Remove paper before serving.
My modifications: I have never, in 40 years!, had a double boiler. I now know one can be simulated using a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. I never can understand what it means, "until custard coats a metal spoon." (I get it: when you run your finger over the back of the spoon you're using, it should leave a trail and not fill in.) Problem is, this happens immediately if you're not discerning about this subject. Long ago I upped the heat a bit (you can stand there, stirring, for a VERY long time waiting for the custard to SLOWLY thicken, but since there are other things you need to be doing) and watched carefully until mixture thickened somewhat (it will thicken more as it cools), and if I had any bits of cooked egg whites, I just used a fine-mesh strainer and strained it out.
-Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment