Thursday, March 26, 2015

Red Rice and Quinoa Salad

3/4 cup red rice (I could only find a red rice/brown rice blend at Whole Foods, so I used that)
salt and pepper
3/4 cup preached quinoa (you can find this at Costco)
3 T lime juice (I had lemon, so that's what I used.  Only fresh.)
2 oranges (cut up the way I do them)
1 small shallot, minced  (mine were bitter)
1 T minced fresh cilantro plus 1 cup leaves (I HATE cilantro, so I used flat leaf parsley)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup evoo
6 oz. pitted dates, chopped (1 cup)

1.  Bring 4 qts. water to boil in large pot over high heat.  Add rice and 1 T salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 min.  (Because of the altitude here, I cooked a bit longer.)  Add quinoa to pot and continue to cook until grains are tender, 12 to 14 min.  (I think I cooked the rice 5 min. longer and added the quinoa and cooked about 15 min more.  You want everything softened but not mushy, so watch this carefully.)  Drain rice-quinoa mixture, spread onto rimmed  baking sheet, and drizzle with 2 T lime (or lemon) juice.  Let rice cool completely, about 20 minutes.

2.  Meanwhile, cut away peel and pith from oranges.  Holding fruit over bowl, use paring knife to slice between membranes to release segments.  Cut segments in half cross-wise.  If needed, squeeze orange memo rates to equal 2 T juice in bowl.  (I didn't do this.  I cut up my oranges the way I always do.  They were juicy so I didn't worry about squeezing out any juice.  Use your own judgment.)

3.  Whisk 2 T orange juice, remaining 1 T lime juice, shallot, minced cilantro (parsley), and pepper flakes in large bowl.  Whisking constantly, drizzle in oil.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add rice-quinoa mixture, dates, orange segments, and remaining 1 cup cilantro (parsley) leaves and toss to combine.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. after quinoa it's supposed to say "pre-washed" it automatically put in the wrong word and I didn't notice

    ReplyDelete