Thursday, March 5, 2015

Fusilli with Ricotta and Spinach (from Cooks Illustrated)

11 oz. whole-milk ricotta cheese (I used all of a 15 oz container)
3 T evoo
salt and pepper
1 pound fusilli (I used gemelli because that was what was in the pantry)
1 pound baby spinach, chopped coarse (I took the tails off)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving (I used combo of Parm and asiago)

1.  Whisk 1 cup ricotta, 1 T oil, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/8 tsp salt in medium bowl until smooth; set aside.

2.  Boil pasta according to package directions with 1T salt.  Cook til al dente.  Reserve 1 cup cooking water.  Stir spinach into pot with pasta and cook until wilted, about a minute.  Drain pasta and spinach and return them to pot.

3.  While pasta cooks, heat remaining 2 T oil, garlic, nutmeg, and cayenne in saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1/3 cup ricotta, cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 3/4 tsp salt until smooth.

4.  Add ricotta-cream mixture and Parmesan and toss to combine.  Let pasta rest, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened slightly and coats pasta, 2 to 4 minutes, adjusting consistency with reserved cooking water as needed.  Transfer pasta to serving platter, dot evenly with reserved ricotta mixture, and serve, passing extra Parmesan separately.


Notes:  I adjusted the sauce upwards to coincide with increased amount of ricotta.  I always take the stems off of fresh spinach because I don't like them in a dish, generally.  Although the recipe doesn't say to do that.  I do it while watching Netflix, otherwise it would be too tedious.

I didn't find I needed to add any cooking water.  See how you like it.

After you've added the ricotta and cream to the sauce, it cools it off, thus cooling off the pasta to below eating temperature.  I may make sure the sauce is hot next time.  However, the ricotta mixture you dollop on top of the finished dish also cools it off.  I was taking this to Kathryn's family and told her to serve individual portions on plates and then microwave them.  I may try finishing the dish and putting it in a moderate oven for a little while.  This is chancy, however.  You'll see what I mean when you make this.  Let me know how you serve it hot.  Try this.  It's not expensive and is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment