Friday, October 7, 2011

Spring Panzanella

This was heaven.  My pregnant taste buds may not be the most reliable right now, but I'm pretty sure everyone else will find this as delicious as I did.  I may have found myself a new signature salad.  Bonus: it is satisfying enough to serve as a main dish.

Credit: fresh365online.com
(http://www.fresh365online.com/recipes/2009/4/6/spring-panzanella.html)

Spring Panzanella
serves 4

1/2 loaf day-old French bread, cut into 1" cubes*
4 T olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 small bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1 medium leek, sliced thin
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 15.5-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed**
1 c wild arugula (or other spring greens)
1 T fresh mint leaves, chopped
2-3 T fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c olive oil
1/4 c white wine vinegar

Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer.  Drizzle with 4 T olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.***  Broil 2 minutes, turn, and broil an additional minute, until golden brown.  Let cool.

Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and add asparagus.  Boil one minute, drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.  Chop into 1" pieces and transfer to a large serving bowl.  Add bread cubes, leek, red onion, beans, arugula, mint, basil and garlic.  Toss with olive oil and white wine vinegar.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.****

---

*I used the Rosemary Garlic loaf from Costco.
**I used Garbanzo beans.
***I tossed the bread cubes with not only olive oil and salt and pepper, but Parmesan cheese as well, with satisfying results.
****I also added fresh squeezed lemon juice to the finished salad, which gave it a bit more zing.

No comments:

Post a Comment