Thursday, October 13, 2011

Country Captain

One 2-3 pound frying chicken
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 Tblspns butter
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1/3 cup finely diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 Tbspn curry powder
1/2 tspn crumbled dried thyme
One 16 oz can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
3 Tbspn dried currants
Blanched toasted almonds

Cut chicken into small pieces.  Wash and pat dry, coat
with a mixture of the flour, slat, and pepper.  Heat
the butter and oil in a large skillet; brown the
chicken on all sides.  Remove chicken and add the
onion, green pepper, garlic, curry powder, and thyme
to skillet.  Stir over low heat to loosen the browned
particles.  Add the stewed tomatoes.  Return the
chicken to the skillet, skin side up.  Cover and cook
slowly until tender, 20-30 minutes.  Stir the currants
into the sauce.  Serve accompanied by almonds.
Serve over egg noodles or pasta.

Notes - 
When I made it the other night I used two boneless
skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks and then
cooked them as suggested.  I might use three or for
breasts next time.
As per your Mother's wise advice regarding sauce, be
it any kind, make three times as much as it says.  The
recipe is meant to present the chicken as the main
feature of the meal with a bit of sauce over it.  When
Susie made it she thought the "serve leftover sauce
with noodles" advice sounded better, so that's how I
make it too.

Enjoy.


p.s. from Jessica
These instructions are from Susie via email sent to me 23 February 2008, with further notes I added in an email to Maren on 10 March 2008.  That's just two days after little Jonah turned five years old.  He is approaching nine this coming March.  Time rules us all.
The first time I had this dish I was lost in the divine deliciousness of it.  The ingredients are simple and few, but the flavor is unique and powerful.  I have made this several times when we have company and plan to serve this to the lucky missionaries tonight.  
Love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment