Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Soft Molasses Cookies

(that look better than our usual recipe)

3 cups flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar, mix til light and fluffy.  (Cooks Illustrated says this is an important step and can take 5 minutes.) Then add molasses, egg, and vanilla.  Mix til well blended.

Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in batches.  Mix well but don't overdo it or you'll have tough cookies.  You don't want to develop the gluten.

If the dough is too soft for rolling, put it in the fridge for awhile.

Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in granulated sugar.  Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking pan.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes until centers are slightly cracked and edges are set at 350 degrees.  Aim for a very slight undertaking.

Note:  I don't know if I used all that nutmeg or not.  Nutmeg I am only mildly fond of and cloves I don't like much, so I may use 1/2 the nutmeg and just a smudge of cloves in any recipe that calls for it which this one doesn't.





1 comment:

  1. Don't know how to edit after publishing, so I will add this additional note. In my eternal quest for soft cookies, I often tweak the recipe a bit. I may have done one or a combination of the following: add 1 T flour for every cup called for in recipe, add a little liquid, slightly decrease leavening. These cookies were a bit puffy and soft, but I wanted them more so. I think I may have added a little flour. And I may have taken a little of the soda out. If I can succeed making them more soft and puffy, I'll add another comment. But I probably won't be making them for awhile. It's on to other recipes for my cookie-of-the-month treats that go to my visiting teaching families.

    ReplyDelete