Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pretend Almond Roca for Caroline

Caroline loves Almond Roca, so I cut this recipe out of a Relief Society bulletin and put it on the freezer to remind me to make it when they came in July.  It was, indeed, a faintly similar facsimile.

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
Club Crackers
1 cup chocolate chips
chopped almonds

Mix butter, sugar and vanilla together in a heavy pan and bring to a boil.  Line a sheet cake pan with Club crackers (grease pan first).  Pour butter/sugar mixture over crackers and bake in a 300 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  Spread the chocolate chips over the top and let them melt, spread around, then top with chopped blanched almonds.  Cut or break into pieces.

Notes:  I think I had to make more of the butter mixture because what's called for just didn't cover well enough.  I know I had to use much more than 1 cup of chocolate chips.  I used Guittard milk chocolate chips.  Just get the slivered almonds and chop them up a bit; you don't want to be skinning your own almonds.  Also, every recipe that I have ever seen has you add the vanilla OFF the heat.  Otherwise you lose the flavor in boiling.

Also, I'm sure this recipe is asking you to use a half-sheet pan.  The full sheet pan doesn't even fit in my oven.  I think a half-sheet pan is the same size as a jellyroll pan.

Easy and pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment