1 pound whole wheat pasta (noodles such as penne work
best)
1 cup of your favorite pasta/tomato sauce
1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese + more for garnish
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
1 pint of grape tomatoes (I cut some in half and left
some whole)
1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil water and cook pasta
according to directions.
While pasta is cooking, heat tomato sauce over low heat
in a large saucepan. Once warm, stir in heavy cream and grated parmesan. Once
pasta is done cooking, drain and dump into the sauce, mixing to coat and
turning off heat. Fold in mozzarella cubes and tomatoes, then chop 3-4 fresh
basil leaves and add them in too. Once combined, spray a baking dish with
non-stick spray and pour the entire pasta mixture into the dish. Top with fresh
mozzarella rounds. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
Top with additional fresh basil and grated cheese. Serve
with garlic bread. You can also add in chicken, steak or seafood for some
protein.
I used regular penne noodles since some reviewers said they didn't like the texture of the wheat. Reviewers say to double the sauce and cheese but leave
the cream as is. I doubled the pasta sauce and the mozzarella, but not the cream, parmesan or tomatoes. And we used Maren and Brent's homemade pasta sauce. Reviewers also wanted more basil, so I think I did about 1.5 times what it calls for. Next time I would not use the grilled chicken that we added, but maybe try some Italian sausage for those who don't want vegetarian. I would also add more mozzarella rounds to the top than what I used.
No comments:
Post a Comment