Monday, May 28, 2012

Reds and Greens Salad

4 cups romaine lettuce pieces (I used more)
4 cups spring mix (I used less)
1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pistachio nuts

Mix all and lightly dress with:

Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/2 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 t Dijon mustard

My notes:

This recipe is from The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner (bought at Costco awhile back). It says it serves 4 to 6, but that all depends, of course. I like to make a goodly amount, but the family is not eating as large servings as the bag or recipe says. Generally.

The recipe calls for pistachios, but I used toasted slivered almonds. I got the pistachios, but it was a pain trying to remove the paper skins from each nut. I would hold a nut in my fingers and try to twist it and see if the paper would loosen for removal. It sometimes did, sometimes didn't. I didn't know if they would be good or if the paper would get yucky, so I sent the almonds instead. However, in the leftovers I kept for myself I added the pistachios, and they were terrific. So if you've got the time and the patience, they would be good. But I'm sure the almonds were fine, too.

I don't like running out of salad dressing and having to make more, so I doubled the recipe. Don't know if there were many leftovers or not.

I wasn't sure I wanted a strong olive oil taste, so I put in half olive oil and half corn oil. It seemed a little tart to me, so I added a spoonful of sugar and then I liked it better.

I REALLY liked this.

No comments:

Post a Comment