Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jubilee Jumbles

1/2 c shortening
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c chopped nuts (recipe calls for walnuts but I always use pecans)

Combine shortening, sugar, and eggs. Add sour cream & vanilla. Blend in flour, soda, & salt. Mix in nuts. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons, two inches apart on greased baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Spread cooled cookies with brown butter glaze.

Yield: 4 dozen 2.5" cookies

Brown Butter Glaze
Melt 1/2 c butter until golden brown. Blend in 2 c sifted confectioners sugar & 1 tsp vanilla. Stir in 2-4 Tbs hot water until icing spreads smoothly. (When browning your butter keep a sharp eye on it. It seems to take forever and then can go from brown to burned in an instant.)

2 comments:

  1. I've had trouble with this original recipe for several (at least) years now. This year I omitted 1T sugar for each cup called for, I added 1T(rounded), to the 15 oz. container of Daisy sour cream and rounded another one of the T from the carton; also ran my finger through the measuring spoon of leavening to decrease it a little bit. These changes gave me back the tall, puffy cookies of days of yore.

    One suggestion for the glaze -- let the butter cool of awhile. Annie and I have both had trouble with the butter starting to ooze out of the frosting. A little hot water helps, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these the other day in an effort to restore a bit of Rasmussen-ness to our holiday season. Matt said ""They taste good, but they don't look like Mom's."
    He was right - not puffy enough. I think they might have been slightly undercooked as I am always afraid to overcook. The frosting was perfect though.

    ReplyDelete