Saturday, September 17, 2011

Marybeth's Chicken and Dumpling Casserole

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups chicken broth
10 oz. frozen green peas
4 cups cubed cooked chicken

Dumplings:
2 cups Bisquick
2 tsp. dried basil
2/3 cup milk

In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add flour, sugar, salt, basil, and pepper; cook a couple of minutes to cook the flour. Add broth. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat. Add peas and cook a few min, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. For dumplings, combine Bisquick and basil in bowl. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto casserole (12 dumplings). Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 10 minutes more or until dumplings are done. Serves 6 to 8.

My notes: I think I quadruple all the wet ingredients and that might make just a little too much, which I put in an 8 x 8 pan. If you follow the recipe as written, you'll have a lot of biscuit and not much of the soupy stuff. Experiment to see how you like it, but I would at least triple the wet stuff. If I were closely guarding the family exchecquer, I might experiment with more broth and make it more soup-like and serve it in soup bowls. But if you want it how I have done it, quadruple the wet stuff.

Wait a minute. . . don't I add cooked carrots to the wet stuff? I think I do. And you will want to cut back on those peas. Quadruple everything BUT the peas. And add carrots. Then see if you think it can handle some more peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment