This is actually a pound cake recipe, designed to be baked in two 8 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans. I baked it in two 9" cake pans. The cake is dense and doesn't rise much. If you have two 8" cake pans, I might try that. Also, I may have overbaked the cake a bit (I'm not sure of that, though). I thought the edges were pretty crispy. So you might want to try a toothpick at a certain point, although you have to know what to look for. I always thought the toothpick was supposed to come out clean if the cake was done, but then I saw something on the Food Network where the cook said the toothpick would have some crumbs on it, but the crumbs will be dry when the item is done. Probably depends on the recipe. I found that the cake was better with softer edges the next day, so I would bake it a day ahead if possible.
Cream
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
Add five eggs (1 at a time, beating after each addition until incorporated).
Mix Dry Ingredients - with a whisk in a medium bowl.
3 cups flour,
1 1/2 tsp. salt,
1/2 tsp baking powder,
1/2 tsp baking soda
Mix Separately
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from approximately 2 lemons)
finely grated zest from the lemons.
Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three parts alternately with the buttermilk mixture in two, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat just until smooth and do not overmix.
Divide batter evenly between two well-buttered and floured pans. (Oops, here it is!) Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. (But remember that is for loaf pans and it will also depend on how hot your oven is.) Let cool a few minutes, then turn out on rack and let finish cooling completely before you ice the cake.
Frosting
1 1/2 sticks butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 T heavy cream (I didn't have, so I added a bit more butter)
2 tsp. lemon juice ( I added lots more to get a good lemon flavor, then I had to add some more sugar to get the texture right. NO WAY 2 tsp lemon juice is going to make it taste lemony enough.)
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest (I doubled or tripled that amount)
Good luck! (You know, you've got to have the lemons [or just one lemon] for the lemon zest, but if you don't have enough for all the juice you need, you can use the Minute Maid frozen lemon juice -- not the stuff in the green bottles which is full of chemicals and is not good.)
Oh, and by the way, I really think this cake is better without the ice cream on the side. The cream cuts into the lemony-ness and does it a disservice, in my opinion.
All notes are from Susie, the master chef. This came directly form her email of the recipe.
- Jessica
No comments:
Post a Comment